The Parish Council is working on rejuvenating the duck pond area, off of the Strutt Memorial Recreation Ground. Planting has begun, with more to come throughout the year. The aim is to create a quiet, reflective space for residents, and to create a haven for wildlife, through the log stack 'bug hotel' and bird and bat boxes.
If you are visiting to feed the ducks, please remember that a duck's natural diet is made up of pond weed, seeds, insects, worms, small water snails and amphibians. According to the Canal and River Trust, the best food items to feed ducks are:
- Sweetcorn - tinned, frozen or fresh is fine, just make sure you defrost frozen corn
- Lettuce - all types of salad leaves are fine, as long as it hasn't gone slimey
- Peas - no need to cook them, but allow frozen peas to defrost before feeding them to ducks
- Oats - rolled oats and even instant porridge oats are fine to feed ducks.
- Seeds - bird seed or supermarket bought seeds for human consumption are fine. Seeds are very nutritious!
- Rice - both cooked and uncooked rice is fine
Please avoid feeding the ducks bread